A Much-Needed Boy’s Winter Coat
It’s gotten cold here. Some sources started saying coldest late autumn weather in 15 years, then I started hearing coldest in 42 years. Either way, at some point today I heard someone refer to 34 degrees as “balmy” in comparison to the temps last week. Unfortunately, Romeo had outgrown his winter coat, and he needed a new one right away. I’d been planning one, but had put it off until it was needed. Procrastination served me well in this instance. He’s grown at least a full size since the summer, now being a European kids size 128 (which translates sort-of to US size 8, but since most of the good kid’s patterns seem to be of non-US origin, it makes more sense to keep track of his European size)
I used the boy’s Frock Coat pattern from Burda 12/2012 issue. I’d seen this last year when I got the magazine, but since Romeo didn’t need a coat at the time, it’s been sitting around waiting for me to make it up. The pattern is also available on-line here.
The fabric is a mystery one I got in a fabric bundle from FabricMart. I’m pretty sure it’s 100% wool. It has a nice felted kind of texture and is just the right thickness for a kid’s coat. The lining is some black twill-ish lining from my stash. See my tiny hand-stitches holding in the lining on this sleeve? (hopefully you don’t really see them)
The pattern has patch pockets with flaps for both sides. These went together pretty quick and easy. the flaps are lined, but the pockets themselves aren’t.
There is also a welt pocket on the upper left front. This might be the first welt pocket I’ve done that I’m not ashamed to have featured in a close-up photo.
The buttons are vintage, of an unknown year. Being that they are so unusual, I didn’t have coordinating smaller ones to put on the sleeves. I settled for one large one on each sleeve. They had to be hand-sewn on; they are so thick I couldn’t fit them beneath my presser foot to attach them by machine.
While I point out what things went together easily, I might as well point out that there were some things that were much more difficult. This is, after all, a Burda magazine pattern. The instructions are sparse and tracing from the magazine insert was, as usual, something of a pain. Seam allowances had to be added, and I’m pretty sure I got my rights and lefts mixed up when I cut the lining out because one side of the back vent had a few inches of extra lining fabric and the other side had barely enough. Not necessarily a fault of the pattern, but the bulky outer fabric also made my front lapels…well, I think they have a lot of room for improvement (but if you didn’t notice, then please don’t go back and look). Overall, my complaints about the pattern are pretty much an echo of what I read a quite a few people writing. The style of the pattern and the look of the finished product, for me, make up for the frustration of working through the Burda experience, but I wouldn’t recommend it for someone just beginning to sew.
He’s happy with it. No fights about wearing his coat to school or anywhere else, and he gave me a pretty heartfelt “thank you, Mom” when it was finally done and handed over to him. I think he looks quite dapper (because he’s 9 and doesn’t want to hear that he looks “cute”)